What to Do if You Are a Victim of Identity Theft

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 14th, 2018

1. PLACE A FRAUD ALERT on your credit reports by contacting one of the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) listed below. Request your free credit reports.


2. CALL ALL COMPANIES where an account has been misused or opened fraudulently. Close or flag as necessary. Follow up in writing, enclosing an Affidavit.


3. REPORT TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. File a complaint online at www.ftc.gov. Enclose a copy, called an FTC Affidavit, with your letters to companies and CRAs. Provide a copy to the police if you file a police report.


4. FILE A REPORT WITH THE POLICE. Ask them to attach your FTC Affidavit to the report. To fix mistakes on your credit report, send a copy to each CRA and the companies that provided the inaccurate information.


Credit Reporting Agencies:

Experian: 888-397-3742

Trans Union: 800-680-7289

Equifax: 800-525-6285

Tags: , ,